Monday, August 17, 2009

Oh sweet summer, where have you gone?

As I find the end of the summer fast approaching, I think it would be nice to reflect on some thing that happened. This summer was actually fairly uneventful and I can't really say that I'm upset about that. After working for 8 hours, 5 days a week last summer, I decided this year would be a good time to chill before I have to enter the real world and begin working my ass of everyday for the rest of my life.

I did take a class. It was fantastic. I learned a lot of behind-the-scenes stuff concerning the food industry and why corporate america cannot be trusted...but as a sociology buff, that I already knew. Mostly I liked the class because of the people I met. I was told I would meet people I would never normally meet during the year and that was entirely true. That class was a wonderful surprise and I only hope to stay in touch with those I met.

After my class, I chose the life of luxury. I go to the pool almost everyday, then drink with the same people almost every night. It's a blast when its happening but makes me wonder about the future because to be honest, I have absolutely no direction. I've met some wonderful new friends this summer and a few who have already graduated. Talking to them reminds me that graduation really isn't that far away and when it gets here, I should have some sort of a plan or I'm screwed. What am I supposed to do? Grad school? Get a job? Backpack through Europe? Move back in with my parents? Its all very stressful, especially during those times that I feel like I don't have any passion. I like psychology, but am I passionate about it? What can I do to make some sort of impression on the world or at least those around me? I guess I have two more years of college to figure out the next step.

This summer flew by. I suppose if I could redo it, I would work a little harder to get a job but then again, if today were the first day of summer, I probably wouldn't be doing anything differently.

No comments:

Post a Comment