Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Birthday weekend

I know you all are just on edge waiting hear how my birthday weekend went.  Well, where did I leave off?  Thursday?  Friday?  Friday it is.

On Friday, I was a little busy after work so the only exercise I really got was the walk at lunch.  Friday night I walked all the way to Whitlow's in high heels and I tell ya, that ought to count for something!  Bonus points?  I walked all the way home in them also!  Although I must credit some of my bravery and strength to some...uh...liquid courage.

Needless to say, I did not go for a run Saturday morning as my birthday celebrations left a wee bit incapacitated.  Once I was (almost) certain I could keep down breakfast, J and I managed to drag ourselves and my couch-crashing friends over to Bayou for some extremely delicious biscuits and beignets.  I tell you, when I move out to Ballston, I better still be able to make it the whole 2 miles down the road to get those hangover curing biscuits. After that, J and I bid farewell to the boys, pointing them toward the metro, as we made our way to Harris Teeter for one of the most nauseating grocery shopping trip I have ever encountered.  Who knew the smell of fresh baked bread and the sight of the beer aisle could be so torturous? We got all of our necessities for the BBQ later that day (and made sure to text friends to pick up the items we inevitable forgot) and went home for some much needed R&R on the couch, finishing up the final season of our Friends DVDs.

Around 3, we began skewering out marinated chicken and shrimp, wrapping pineapple in bacon, and anticipating the arrival of our guests.  We glanced out the window and noticed the courtyard was packed.  A momentary panic spread when we realized the only two grills were occupied but I resolved to send my oh so charming, 6'3" T to go secure us a grill.  We ended up not having a problem and set up some blankets downstairs once everyone arrived.  The BBQ turned out great.  We ate and chatted and played a few heated rounds of Bocce, only retreating indoors when the sky threatened to open up on us.  After that, we watched the Olympics in the clubroom.  Once a few people had to go home, the rest of us went back to our apartment, got dressed (after I tried on numerous outfits and my friend suggested I wear a tailored work dress, unbuttoned with a lace cami underneath...that got vetoed) and made out way out to Clarendon Grill.  I got spilled on about 7 times in the 2 1/2 hours we were shakin it on the dance floor.  We hobbled home at 2am, covered in glow sticks, and promptly passed out.

Sunday morning arrived a little too soon and with it, my first flag football game in two months.  Thankfully, the game was not until noon and I was remarkably free of any hangover.  J and I drove out to Centreville and almost got lost since neither of us had been in so long.  When we finally made it, almost our whole team had managed to show up, giving us a full group of subs.  I played defense, rushing the quarterback all game, which left me shaky and sore after allowing myself to fall well out of shape since our last game.  There were a couple of plays in which he gave us the run around and I just wanted to stop running but I managed to give it a good go and we won the game (not necessarily due to my assistance).

After the game, J and I dawdled before heading to my parents house in order to give the inspector time to leave (they are selling the house).  Once there, we changed, I showed her around the main setting of all my childhood memories, and planted ourselves on the couch to watch the Olympics while my dad prepared food and my mom talked.  Dad made shrimp po boys, one of my favorites (J's first time having one), and red velvet cake.  They same Happy Birthday to me while I sang it to Jenny and I made her blow out a candle on the cake.  We watched "Mirror, Mirror", which left me aching to run my fingers through Armie Hammer's impeccable hair, before heading home and falling asleep to the women's gymnastics competition

All in all, it was a really great weekend.  As for presents, I got a wine decanter, wine glasses, a bottle of wine (sensing a theme?), a pasta roller (!!!!!!), a couple of Le Creuset casserole dishes (!!!!!), some miscellaneous kitchen things (really...sensing a theme?), and a lot of love.  Thanks to my family and friends for being so fantastic and celebrating with me!  I plan to make 23 as spectacular as 1-22 have been!

No comments:

Post a Comment