Tuesday, July 24, 2012

New Year Resolutions

Tomorrow is my birthday, the start of a new year in my life.  Since I didn't quite stick to my resolutions from the more widely recognized New Year, going backwards more often than forwards, I have decided to set some new ones to start tomorrow.  I'll be 23 and I think it is about time I get on track. So starting tomorrow, I will.....

- Exercise, damnit!  I say this all the time.  I say it yearly, monthly, weekly....daily!  I need to exercise. The problem is, I find it boring.  Part of me views this as an indication that I have moved on from some of my aggression of the past.  It used to be easy to find motivation to run by turning to some anger or resentment I was harboring toward a certain someone in the recent past.  But at the moment I find myself...apathetic.  So from now on, I need new inspiration.  And when inspiration lacks, I need self control. The ability to tell myself to do something and actually get it done.  I will wake up at 6am, actually get out of bed, and move forward toward progress. That extra hour of sleep isn't worth the guilt I feel at the end of the say or terror of putting on an item of clothing that used to fit perfectly and having to dig out my older, larger pants.

- Stop procrastinating....and forgetting.  I do that a lot. I will tell myself to do something as soon as I get home and in the time it takes to walk from the metro to my apartment, completely forget. I suppose I'll need some sort of system for this but I'll work something out.  Carry a notebook, perhaps.

-Clean thoroughly and often.  Clean my bedroom, clean the kitchen, clean my email inbox, clean my body, clean, clean, clean.  I need to declutter.  I have a lot of stuff I never use and it is time to downsize.  Part of me kept thinking I just needed more space.  For the past couple years I have been saying to myself "my room is too small...it's impossible to be organized when things don't fit."  Well, why do I need so much stuff?  The answer...I don't!

- Go do shit.  I need to get out more.  Plain and simple.  Maybe I need to learn to be alone better and go do things by myself.  But I would much rather have people to do stuff with.  Any takers?

- STOP BEING NERVOUS ABOUT EVERYTHING! The prospect of moving, the idea of getting a new job, the chance of encounters with strangers.  I need to chill out.

Those are the big ones.  I'm sure if I thought about it, I could come up with a million small things I need to do to be a better me.  But I am also going to try to stop obsessing over things like that.  I'm a pretty good version of myself. I felt so out of whack for so long that it has been an interesting and difficult journey reclaiming myself over the past year and a half.  But I feel comfortable now. Bring it on, 23!

No comments:

Post a Comment