Saturday, December 1, 2012

Titty realignment

Today marks the official beginning of the holiday season for me.  Its finally December, "Elf" is running back to back on ABC Family, and I have busted out my special stretchy pants (because, honestly, no spinning class can make up for the cookie storm that is about to form in my kitchen).  In an effort to be more spirited, I have scoped out some festive holiday events about town.  The first of which was today, in Old Town Alexandria. Some friends and I gathered for the Scottish Walk and the Boat Parade of Lights and let me tell you, my loyal and devoted followers....it was everything I thought it would be and so much more!

But really....not really.  I parked outside of Old Town, somewhere between Queen St. and Narnia then made the trek over to the King, hoping to catch the tail end of the Walk. I have to say, I was expecting more men in kilts and fewer dogs.  Also, they blocked off a two block perimeter which seems to be a little extreme to me. My friend has a similar parking experience so we didn't meet up until an hour after our scheduled rendez-vous.

While waiting, I decided to defrost in the Torpedo Factory.  A woman approached me in the bathroom and asked if I would be interested in a 25 year old gentleman who just earned his PhD.  Before I could even as my usual questions (how tall is he?) she informed me he is her son and lives in Nebraska.  Oh well.  I was really hoping he would be the one.  I'm sure if I keep checking public facilities, I'll come across another desperate mother with a more geographically desirable son she's willing to pimp out.

After an hour or so in the art galleries and one old photographer hitting on me later, we got food.  Then we realized it would be another 3 hours until the boat parade. This part isn't super exciting...we shopped.

Now to the best part.  The boats.  These boats were spectacular.  The inspired ideas, the flawless execution, and the cheering crowds were....absent.  Basically, a hundred people stood on a dock and watched several boats go by who's owners got bored, stumped, or injured halfway through decoration (that's the only explanation I can think of for the lackluster nature of the light show). My friend, A, and  spent the whole time laughing along with the people around us and in the end decided we should win the competition for being the most entertaining and well decorated people there.  A, if you're reading this, I am sorry you endured 9 straight hours in Old Town Alexandria today.  But I had a lovely time.  I, however, am easily amused.

Next week's holiday adventure?  ICE at National Harbor.  I have high hopes.

And now you all are probably wondering how I chose the name for this post.  Well my friend and I were in Old Town today and...eh..you had to be there.

No comments:

Post a Comment