Monday, December 3, 2012

Your limbs have had it up to here with your demands

Exercising is a strange concept.  I think that if I were poor or somebody from a country where gyms were not "a thing", I would find them laughable. Can you think of a better example of a leisure activity?  We pay a monthly fee to run on a treadmill.  Gyms are have a direct relationship to the excess amount of food we consume. Everything in excess!  Even exercise. We run and run and run then we lift and lift and lift.  We are neither running to from anything and nothing will ever require us to be able to lift that much weight in the normal course of our lives. We do it because when we're not exercising, we are eating. It's all about balance, right?

Then there is a the fact that exercise is basically going against all of our survival instincts.  Our hearts start to pound and our limbs hurt and want to give up and what do we do? We push further.  Lifting weights is the only time you want to push yourself "to failure". This literally means that you tell your arm to lift the weight another time and your arm responds by hanging limp at your side.  You are no longer the master of your own body.  The muscle is in control now it's all,  "Nope, I'm good" or, "Oh you mean drop the weight?  Yeah I can do that!"

Another interesting side of the "eat so much we need to pay to work it off" mindset is the idea that there should be a magic solution.  Whenever I see somebody from the past, if I happen to be looking particularly fiiiine that day, and if that person is female, they, without fail, ask me what my secret is.  People try fad diets  and read self help books, and take pills and everything to try to find out the "secret" of how to lose weight.  In reality, everyone knows how.  Burn more than you eat.  It's not a trick.  It's science.  The answer people are really hunting for is how they can be skinnier without actually altering their day-to-day routine. We are a society full of people who know what to do but make excuses not to and overturn every rock they come across in search of a loophole.

Now, if you'll excuse me....I have a pile of Hershey's Kisses to attend to. But it's ok...I ran 3 miles this morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment