Tuesday, October 2, 2012

An Update

I have been absent.  My posts seems to be a once-a-month sort of thing. This time, lets skip the whole "I'm so sorry and I promise to do better" spiel...you and I both know I probably won't.  So instead, lets just try to enjoy this short time we have together and savor the moment because it will probably be a while before there is another.  Moving on....

In the same vein, I have let most of my birthday resolutions slip.  Since the move, I haven't been exercising (hard to motive myself without that handy gym right downstairs), I have been spending WAY too much money, and...I can't remember the rest, but I doubt I have made much progress.  I'm starting over...again.  This time, I hope it sticks.

Well the title of this post indicates that I have to update you on my life.  My parents moved to Florida (finally) just a couple of weeks after I moved myself.  This has caused some chaos because I now need to remember to change the billing/mailing addresses on all of my accounts.  Before, they would always just be my parents' address so that I didn't have to change it every time I moved but now I don't have that fall back. Independence is rough.

My recent obsessions are books and vintage things, mostly pyrex or glassware.  I went estate sale shopping that week and came back with zilch. All over various blogs, I see people going to thrift shop and yard sales and finding beautiful things for like $2 but I never seem so lucky.  Maybe I'm just not dedicated enough.

The weather has turned cold here in the nation's capital.  Its raining so terribly today.  I took my first rainy walk to the metro stop and it wasn't too terrible. I do have to leave my house about 10 minutes earlier than I'd like thanks to Rush Plus.  I thought it was supposed to make the metro more efficient but it seems much worse to me.  Before, I would arrive at the station and there would be trains ever 2 or 3 minutes.  Now, I have seen wait times up to 10 minutes during rush hour.  And when the trains do come, they are over crowded. The metro people need to get there stuff together.  Seriously. And commuters need to be more polite in general, but I could take an entire other post to talk about that problem....maybe I will.

My new house is great so far.  It's really coming together and my roommates and I are getting along.  J travels for work a lot and is busy when she's home but C and I have had time to bond a little and she is super nice. One problem I have with the new place?  The range.  The oven takes FOREVER to cook things and the stove top seems to always get too hot or not hot enough.  I can't wait until I have a place of my own and can choose my appliances.  Gas range, all the way...preferably Wolf. On that note, I loathe side by side refrigerators.  There is no space for anything. In addition to a top of the line range, I'm going to have a huge refrigerator and a separate freezer, just like my Grandparents had.  Totally the way to go.

I don't know if I mentioned this already, but my room is yellow.  Like, sunshine fart yellow.  It makes my furniture look sallow.  I have a beautiful vintage cream colored bedroom set with gold trim but it is dangerously close to the yellow wall color so the yellow just bounces around, tainting everything.  It is getting painted very soon.  I finally chose a color and now I just need to get my shit together enough to actually paint.  By the way, it will be Benjamin Moore's Glass Slipper, a beautiful light, stormy blue. I can't wait.  Even the blinds are beige/yellow.  Never, EVER, paint a room yellow unless the furniture in it will be white or dark brown.

Well, that's all I have for you today.  Exciting, I know.  See you in a month or so!

No comments:

Post a Comment