Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Pump, pump, pump it up!

I am sore.  Like, really sore.  Have been for the past week. And I love it! For me, soreness means that my workouts are doing what they are supposed to.

As I probably mentioned, a friend and I purchased 30-day gym trials from Groupon a couple of weeks ago. Our 30-days started last Monday and we will not be wasting a day of this trial period.  So far, we have been  hitting the gym down the street from our office (she's also a coworker) every morning around 7am.

On Mondays, we need to recover from the weekend so getting up early is a challenge.  So far, both weeks, we have gone after work instead of before and done a longer workout consisting of alternations between running 1/4mi and doing arm exercises.  I really like this because the run feels like a rest but keeps my heart pumping.

Tuesdays and Thursdays are spinning class at 7am.  The Tuesday instructor leaves something to be desired while the Thursday instructor is phenomenal. Last Tuesday was my first EVER class and I gotta say, my butt was hurting after...literally.  I figured the discomfort was the reason I had a hard time keeping up and making it through the class but after borrowing a pair of biking shorts from my roommate and going again this week, I see the difference between a good instructor and a bad one. She just isn't very motivating and her music does not line up with the moves she has us do.  The Thursday instructor, however, chooses songs that match what she wants us to do (last week had an Usher theme and we had to turn up the speed every time he said "let it burn").  I'm looking forward to Thursday's class but then we need to decide whether or not to continue in the Tuesday class.

Wednesdays and Fridays are abs/back and legs.  We were going to just run 3 miles on Friday but that got a little boring and we didn't have a legs day so we decided to switch it up.

I'm already feeling better and with my friend as a coach (she used to coach rowing teams and worked with a lot of athletes), I am so excited to see what results I can get by the end of the month.  I'm hoping to convince her to buy a full membership with me afterward.

No comments:

Post a Comment