Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Son of a stitch

I tend to lose focus very easily. What I mean by that is not that I have the type of ADD that will have me walking away from an activity midway through. More like, I get passionately obsessed with something for a few days, weeks, months, maybe even a year, then out of the blue I will be onto the next thing. Also, I have certain activities that I will cycle through. Included in this in knitting.

When I get into knitting, I get way into it. I start collecting patterns from all sorts of resources, I buy books, I buy yarn, and I will knit every chance I get. Then, without finishing whatever project I'm on, I will be bored of knitting. This usually occurs when the weather warms up (which I am sure is completely normal since knitting is a colder weather kinda thing).

I have found that I am much more prone to knit when its too cold to socialize. Having lovely roommates and living in the center of social city means I have done no knitting at all this winter. I was so hopeful that the weather would turn chilly and my roomies and I would be content to curl up on the couch, watching movies and sipping tea while I finally finished the Clapotis scarf that has been "in progress" for over two years now. I made some scant progress around Halloween, when all three Halloweentown movies were playing one night. Other than that, nada. While my roommates and I do spend a lot of time on the couch, I am more glued to my computer than my knitting needles.

I have such a stash of yarn. All different kinds. Different colors and textures and weights. And I have a list of patterns to try that is a mile long. I could make anything! But where is my cold weather? Where is the snow that would make those mittens necessary? I even promised a friend a new pair by Christmas to try and force myself back into it. The one night I resolved to start them, I couldn't find the right needles and that was it. Project aborted.

So here I am, telling all you imaginary readers out there. I need to knit. I will knit! Just as I have promised to make sourdough bread and post more pictures on this blog and call my dentist (nope, nope, and...sorry mom but nope) I will knit something! Now I am accountable. It's on the list.

No comments:

Post a Comment