Saturday, January 14, 2012

The Sunroom

When we were searching for apartments, my roommates and I had a difficult time finding a place with three rooms, especially in the location we wanted and the price range we had settled on (if we are being perfectly honest, the price issue was my fault. I seem to be the poorest of the bunch). We stumbled across the building we now live in, The Meridian. They have 1 and 2 bedroom apartments but some floor plans have a "sunroom" that the majority of residents use as a 3rd bedroom. Paying the least of the three, it was fairly obvious I would be in the sunroom. I went to look at the apartment and fell in love. It was so charming and lacked the unidentifiable odor that some of the others on our list possessed. And again, for the sake of honesty, I was swayed a bit by the dozen or so beautiful people I saw wandering the premises. I looked at the sunroom, my soon-to-be new home, and thought "It doesn't look that much like a sunroom. Really it's just a normal room with no closet and big window." Ha! It is absolutely classified correctly. This room is SUNNY.

We have lived here for a few months now and I have developed a love/hate relationship with the apartment. The sunroom is, really, only mildly inconvenient. It gets very cold in here at night because it's not as well insulated as the rest of the place. I solved this problem with a space heater and a blanket that I strategically wrap around the top of my head before going to sleep. It gets rather bright in here but that is only an issue when I am hungover, which seems to happen less and less frequently as the exhaustion of working a full time job further paralyzes me on Friday nights. I solved the problem of see-through doors with brown wrapping paper. I had every intention to decorate this make shift wallpaper with my own photographs and artwork. So far, 1/3 of one section has decoration and another section contains only my compiled list of exercises, posted there as a failing attempt to motivate myself into a daily routine.

My room is beautiful, architecturally speaking. The doors open up to a surprisingly large room and across is a big bay window of sorts in which I have nestled my bed. It is large enough to comfortably fit all of my furniture. I love it. I love the way the extra sunlight shines off of the gold trim on my dresser. I love the way I can open all of my blinds and sunbathe. I love looking out over the courtyard and being able to see just beyond the other buildings.

All in all, I love this place. The kitchen could be better ventilated and maybe my room could be a tad less bright at 8am. But I think our 3 decorating styles blended together fantastically and I am perfectly comfortable spending the day in my bed, on the couch, or on the living room floor, should the mood call for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment